A Framework for Testing and Analysis
• Introduce dimensions and tradeoff between test and analysis activities
• Distinguish validation from verification activities
• Understand limitations and possibilities of test and analysis
Verification and validation
does the software system meets the user's real needs?
'are we building the right software?'
does the software system meets the requirements specifications?
'are we building the software right?'
Validation and Verification
• Validation : Includes usability testing, user feedback
• Verification : Includes testing, inspections, static analysis
* Actual Requirements
Verification or validation depends on the specification
Example: elevator response
• Unverifiable (but validatable) spec: ... if a user presses a request button at floor i, an available elevator must arrive at floor i soon...
• Verifiable spec: ... if a user presses a request button at floor i, an available elevator must arrive at floor i within 30 seconds...
Validation and Verification Activities